Aromatherapy is a fast, simple and low-cost way to improve your mood at home or on the go. Let’s take a closer look at what aromatherapy is, how to use it, and which essential oils can boost your mood and reduce anxiety.
What is aromatherapy?
According to the dictionary, aromatherapy uses fragrances—often in the form of essential oil(s)—to “affect or alter a person’s mood or behaviour.” Aromatherapy is also associated with increased wound healing, immune function, and pain relief.
While Harvard Health reports that the research doesn’t support these claims, the same report concludes that aromatherapy is valuable because it makes people feel good, and that it’s shown to reduce anxiety.
How to buy quality essential oils
Quality isn’t regulated for essential oils, but you can find good products by following a couple of guidelines. Healthline suggests three ways to find quality essential oils:
- Check that the product contains only the pure oil listed by its botanical name (e.g., bergamot’s botanical name is citrus bergamia), with no other additives or synthetics,
- Choose oils that are distilled or cold-pressed (rather than chemically extracted), and
- Purchase oils from a brand with a reputation for quality.
How are essential oils used in aromatherapy?
Essential oils are extracted plant compounds mixed with a small amount of carrier oil. They’re not edible and generally not applied directly on skin unless they’re diluted with additional carrier oils.
To use essential oils for aromatherapy, you can:
- Add them to a humidifier, diffuser, or your facial steamer.
- Sniff your favourite scent right from the bottle.
- Apply a few drops to a hot or cold compress.
- Make a room or body mist with distilled water (use 5 drops of essential oil per half cup of water).
- Include them in your homemade beauty products such as massage oil, bath bombs, facial masks, and exfoliants (use 15 drops of essential oil per ounce of carrier oil or other ingredients).
- Visit us for a massage and ask for our aromatherapy enhancement.
Keep your eyes safe by not applying beauty products that contain essential oils too close to your eyes. After you work with essential oils, wash your hands thoroughly, and try not to absentmindedly rub your eyes before you do!
What essential oils are good for reducing anxiety and improving moods?
At least part of how aromatherapy makes you feel good is about enjoying the smell, so use essential oils you love. Buy your essential oils from a store that displays sample bottles so you can figure out what oils you like best—and which ones to avoid.
Essential oils for mood enhancement:
- Ylang ylang
Essential oils for reducing anxiety:
Aromatherapy is an easy and pleasurable way to positively affect your mood so why not try it this week?
We’re here to help you look and feel your best. If you’d like to try the soothing effects of essential oils in a relaxing spa environment, give us a call to book a Swedish massage with aromatherapy.
Feel great, look great with Hand & Stone Massage & Facial Spa.
Massage. Facials. Waxing. At Hand & Stone, our registered massage therapists will help relieve tension, soothe tired muscles and ease headaches. Interested in our facial services? We know radiant, healthy skin reflects how you look and feel. Hand & Stone’s facials are performed by certified estheticians and we are proud to offer Dermalogica®, YonKa and Diego Dalla Palma products so you can enjoy a bright, beautiful complexion between regular appointments.
We’ll help you look and feel your best, affordably! Call today to schedule your appointment! We’re open 7 days a week with extended hours and gift cards are available for all occasions. Contact us today!