If you’re a teen with acne, you know that having a less than perfect complexion can increase stress and worry and even take the excitement out of preparing for big events like back to school! But did you know that even though 80 percent of teens develop acne, it’s possible to reduce the severity and frequency of breakouts? Keep reading to learn how.
In the image conscious world of high school, even minor pimples and blackheads can be your worst nightmare. By practicing a few simple tips, you can feel positive about taking care of your skin as you deal with the ups and downs of teenage acne.
Teens, here are 5 ways to reduce breakouts:
- Wash your face gently – Washing your face is one of the most important things you can do to prevent acne. Routine cleansing removes dead skin cells, excess oil, and surface dirt. Too much cleansing or intense scrubbing can cause dryness and irritation and make acne worse though, so be gentle.
- Exfoliate weekly – Being gentle with your skin means limiting exfoliation to once a week. Physical exfoliants include mud masks, facial cleansing brushes, and oatmeal scrubs. Products with salicylic acid, alpha-hydroxy acids, beta hydroxy acids, or the fruit enzymes papain and bromelain are types of chemical exfoliants, which are perfectly safe!
- Try a low-glycemic way of eating – Studies suggest that eating mostly foods that don’t cause a spike in blood sugar significantly improves acne and insulin sensitivity. Meat, seafood, nuts, and wholesome carbohydrates are low-glycemic foods. To learn more about this way of eating, read A Beginner’s Guide to the Low-Glycemic Diet.
- Use products that don’t clog pores – While there are different causes for acne, the results are the same: clogged pores. Look for products that say non-comedogenic on the label to guarantee your products won’t clog pores.
- Get regular facials – Facials help remove pore blockages and support clear, smooth skin. We recommend facials for teen boys and girls who want to look and feel their best.
What is a teen facial?
At Hand & Stone, our teen facial is designed for teens who experience mild breakouts or have skin prone to blackheads, blemishes, and acne-scars. Our acne-controlling facial improves skin complexion and prevents and controls future breakouts, resulting in clearer and smoother skin.
During a facial treatment, a Hand & Stone certified esthetician manually removes pore blockages. By clearing the excess oil and cellular debris from the pores, you’ll be less likely to see whiteheads and blackheads—which are types of non-inflammatory acne. You’ll get the best results from facials if you have them regularly.
Whether you’ve got a special event coming up or you simply want to look and feel your best at school and home, we’re here to help.
If you’d like to take care of your complexion and relax to the max, give us a call to book a teen facial and a Swedish massage.
Feel great, look great with Hand & Stone Massage & Facial Spa.
Massage. Facials. Waxing. At Hand & Stone, our registered massage therapists will help to relieve tension, soothe tired muscles and ease headaches. Interested in our facial services? We know radiant, healthy skin reflects how you look and feel. Hand & Stone’s facials are performed by certified estheticians and we are proud to offer Dermalogica®, YonKa and Diego Dalla Palma products so you can enjoy a bright, beautiful complexion between regular appointments.
We’ll help you look and feel your best, affordably! Call today to schedule your appointment! We’re open 7 days a week with extended hours and gift cards are available for all occasions. Contact us today!