At some point in your forties, you’re likely to get a surprise in the magnifying mirror: new and unwanted facial hair! These hairs—which could be dark, course, long, or like robust peach fuzz—could show up along your jaw line, on your chin, or above your lip.
This is completely normal and can happen because of hormonal changes during perimenopause and menopause. But since excessive hair growth (hirsutism) can be a sign of other medical conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), and adrenal disorders, talk to your doctor if you’re concerned—especially if you’ve experienced other symptoms.
Whatever the reason for these unwanted hairs on your beautiful face, you don’t have to put up with them if they bother you. There are many solutions available, and by choosing the one that’s best for you, you’ll also remove the stress and worry that come with this new reality.
Short-term solutions for unwanted facial hair:
- Applying depilatory creams – These creams break down the proteins in hair so when you wipe the cream off, your unwanted hair goes with it.
- Shaving – This is fast and easy but don’t do it! Although it’s a myth that shaved hair grows back fuller, it does feel course and prickly which is probably not what you want on your face. Plus, if your hair is dark, you may get a 5 o’clock shadow.
Medium-term solutions for unwanted facial hair:
- Plucking – A good set of tweezers, proper lighting, and possibly your reading glasses is all you need to take care of a few rogue hairs. Tweezing is best for small areas.
- Waxing – This is quick and works well over larger areas like your jawline. Good technique is important (to avoid ingrown hairs) so learn how to do it properly or go to a spa with certified estheticians.
- Threading – This is like plucking but it takes out more hair at once so it’s great for eyebrows, cheeks and the upper lip. The technique is tricky, so we recommend visiting a certified esthetician for threading.
- Epilating – An epilator is a small device that removes many hairs at once. Unlike waxing, you don’t have to wait to remove new growth because it works on hair less than a millimetre long.
Long-term solutions for unwanted facial hair:
- Laser treatment – Professional laser hair removal can take up to 8 sessions for best results, plus semi-annual maintenance sessions. This is expensive but there are now many FDA-approved options for home treatment from brands like Tria, Remington, Illuminage, Braun, and Silk’n. Not all laser devices work for everyone so learn about which laser hair removal machines are best suited for your skin tone, and hair colour before you buy.
- Electrolysis – This is a permanent solution to unwanted hair. It requires more sessions than laser treatment, but maintenance sessions aren’t typically necessary. Certified professional electrologists and certified clinical electrologists have specialized training, and at least 5 years’ experience performing electrolysis on clients.
As you might guess, every solution on this list—except shaving and using depilatory creams—hurts a little so we recommend practicing self-care beforehand to help you ease into the experience.
We’re here to help.
If you have unwanted facial hair you’d like to see disappear, give us a call to book a waxing or threading treatment with one of our certified estheticians.
Feel great, look great with Hand & Stone Massage & Facial Spa.
Massage. Facials. Waxing. At Hand & Stone, our registered massage therapists will relieve tension, soothe tired muscles and ease headaches. Interested in our facial services? We know radiant, healthy skin reflects how you look and feel. Hand & Stone’s facials are performed by certified estheticians and we are proud to offer Dermalogica®, YonKa and Diego Dalla Palma products so you can enjoy a bright, beautiful complexion between regular appointments.
We’ll help you look and feel your best, affordably! Call today to schedule your appointment! We’re open 7 days a week with extended hours and gift cards are available for all occasions. Contact us today!