Unfortunately, adult acne is common: it affects about half of all women in their twenties and a quarter of women in their forties. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, adult acne—which occurs more frequently in women than men—is typically caused by stress, hormone levels, skin care products, family history, medication side effects or medical conditions.
Without a visit to the doctor or dermatologist, you might not know why you have acne but no matter the cause, it’s safe to start with a natural approach to treatment in the four areas you can control.
Manage stress: put on the brakes
Busy lifestyles and family responsibilities can mean that even ‘too much’ stress is easily ignored for a time. But when that stress shows up as acne, it could be just the sign you need to start incorporating self-care.
Manage your stress with:
- Proper eating habits
- Healthy emotional boundaries (e.g., asserting yourself and living by your values)
Medication side effects: be an acne detective
Acne is an unfortunate side effect of some medications. If you noticed changes to your skin after starting a medication, consider talking to your doctor about your experience.
Skin care products: read the label
Ever think about what you put on your face, day and night? Choosing the wrong skin care products could be sabotaging your attempts at glowing skin. Instead, look for products that won’t clog pores.
To find moisturizers, cleansers and sunscreen that won’t clog pores, the American Academy of Dermatology suggests you look for one of these terms on the label:
- Won’t clog pores
4 natural skin care treatments for adult acne
- Wash your face twice daily – After washing, pat your face with a towel and while your face is still damp, apply your non-clogging moisturizer. For gentle exfoliation, use a face cloth.
- Use diluted tea tree oil on trouble areas – Dilute 1 drop of tea tree oil in 20 drops of carrier oil (e.g., coconut) to create a 5% solution. This study concluded that “tea tree oil is an effective treatment for mild to moderate acne.”
- Try an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) mask – AHA products remove dead skin that clogs pores. Note: They also make you more sensitive to the sun – so remember your sunscreen!
- Test out products with salicylic acid – Salicylic acid decreases inflammation, and exfoliates and helps break up the dead skin that clogs pores. If you already exfoliate regularly, ease into using salicylic acid treatments because too much exfoliation can irritate your skin.
If you’re having trouble managing acne at home, here’s how to get help:
- For mild to moderate cases – Talk to a skin care specialist about the right facial treatment for radiant skin.
- For moderate to severe acne – Make an appointment with your dermatologist to learn more about your skin issues and get a proper diagnosis.
- For medical or holistic concerns – If you suspect there’s something else going on and you’re not feeling your best, talk to your doctor about your medical situation or consult a nutritionist about nourishing your skin from the inside out!
We’re here to help you manage your stress and look your best. If you’re ready to de-stress with a massage or get a facial treatment made just for your skin type, give us a call.
Feel great, look great with Hand & Stone Massage & Facial Spa.
Massage. Facials. Waxing. At Hand & Stone, our registered massage therapists will relieve tension, soothe tired muscles and ease headaches. Interested in our facial services? We know radiant, healthy skin reflects how you look and feel. Hand & Stone’s facials are performed by certified estheticians and we are proud to offer Dermalogica®, YonKa and Diego Dalla Palma products so you can enjoy a bright, beautiful complexion between regular appointments.
We’ll help you look and feel your best, affordably! Call today to schedule your appointment! We’re open 7 days a week with extended hours and gift cards are available for all occasions. Contact us today!