Is your skin rougher than you’d like it to be? Do your at-home exfoliation treatments leave a little something to be desired?
If yes, you may want to know more about a safe and effective anti-aging spa treatment called Microdermabrasion.
What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive skin care treatment used to reduce fine lines and age spots, clear clogged pores, and leave you with smoother skin. It works by exfoliating and removing dead cells from the surface of the skin.
Unlike home exfoliating treatments that use a facecloth or scrub, Microdermabrasion is done with a machine that sands and then removes the outer layer of skin, typically with a diamond or crystal-tipped handpiece.
Though diamonds are known for being tough, microdermabrasion is a gentle treatment and you don’t need any ‘down time’ afterwards.
3 Reasons to Consider Microdermabrasion Treatment:
- You’re approaching or have arrived at middle age – As we age, our skin produces less collagen and elastin (two proteins that promote smooth skin), which is one reason the skin care routine of your twenties doesn’t work as well as it used to.
- You have mild acne scars or age spots – Microdermabrasion can reduce the appearance of mild scars, blemishes, and age spots.
- You want smooth, glowing skin – Regular treatments keep your skin smooth and, as a bonus, a relaxing spa experience reduces stress (chronic stress is a factor in premature aging).
What to do before and after your microdermabrasion treatment
Unlike aggressive anti-aging treatments like facelifts and dermabrasion where you have to go into hiding while your face heals, microdermabrasion requires little preparation or recovery time.
Prepare for your microdermabrasion treatment by:
- Scheduling your appointment, a week in advance – This gives you the time you need to prepare your face for treatment.
- Giving your face a rest – Avoid waxing and tanning during the week prior to your treatment and stop exfoliating three days before your microdermabrasion.
- Cleaning your face – Before you head to the spa for treatment, remove your makeup and wash and moisturize your face as usual.
Taking care of your skin after your treatment is just as simple. The microdermabrasion will leave your skin feeling tight or dry and a little more sensitive to the sun, so be generous with moisturizer and sunscreen. This is recommended whether or not you experience common microdermabrasion side effects (redness, swelling and tenderness) that typically last only a few hours after treatment.
Rough and dull skin may appear in the mirror but you don’t have to put up with it for long.
We’re here to help. If you’re considering adding Microdermabrasion to your anti-aging skin care routine, give us a call.
Feel great, look great with Hand & Stone Massage & Facial Spa.
Massage. Facials. Waxing. At Hand & Stone, our registered massage therapists will relieve tension, soothe tired muscles and ease headaches. Interested in our facial services? We know radiant, healthy skin reflects how you look and feel. Hand & Stone’s facials are performed by certified estheticians and we are proud to offer Dermalogica®, YonKa and Diego Dalla Palma products so you can enjoy a bright, beautiful complexion between regular appointments.
We’ll help you look and feel your best, affordably! Call today to schedule your appointment! We’re open 7 days a week with extended hours and gift cards are available for all occasions. Contact us today!