Your mother was right: you need your beauty sleep. Sleep is the elixir of life—getting enough sleep helps you look good, feel good, stay healthy, and fend off disease.
The effects of sleep deprivation on your skin
Though one night of bad sleep isn’t serious, the cumulative effects of sleep deprivation can literally be seen on your face. That’s why we recommend sleep as an essential part of your skin care routine.
When you don’t get enough sleep, here’s what you get instead:
- More wrinkles and complaints – One study suggests that people who sleep too little have more fine lines and wrinkles and are less satisfied with how they look, compared to people who get enough sleep!
- Dehydrated, sallow skin – Consistent lack of sleep makes it hard for your skin to stay hydrated and can cause a dull complexion known as sallow skin.
- Swollen eyes and a sad face – Sleep deprivation leads to swollen eyes and makes you look sad, according to a Swedish study. The study also suggests that appearing tired and sad may have negative social consequences.
- Impaired healing ability – Cell regeneration happens when we sleep and not getting enough sleep means we don’t heal as fast as usual. If you notice a blemish taking longer to disappear than normal, you may want to hit the hay early tonight.
If you’re not getting 7-9 hours of sleep every night—the recommended dose for adults—you may wonder how to make beauty sleep part of your life.
5 tricks for getting a good night’s sleep, every night
It’s common for people to feel stressed and helpless about not sleeping well. The good news is sleeping well relies a lot on practicing good habits that are within your control.
Harvard Health Publishing suggests 12 tips for getting a good night’s rest and we recommend starting your beauty sleep routine with these five:
- Sleep in a comfortable bed in a dark and quiet bedroom.
- Develop a relaxing night routine, and go to bed and get up at the same time every day.
- Don’t stay in bed if you can’t sleep—instead, go to another room, and read in dim light until you’re sleepy enough to go back to bed.
- Set the right mental associations with your bed by using it only for sleeping and sex.
- Watch your caffeine consumption and avoid it after 2 p.m.
Getting your beauty rest is one of the best things you can do for your health and your face.
We’re here to help. If you’d like to give yourself a dose of relaxation to kickstart a new sleep routine, give us a call to book a soothing facial or massage.
Feel great, look great with Hand & Stone Massage & Facial Spa.
Massage. Facials. Waxing. At Hand & Stone, our registered massage therapists will relieve tension, soothe tired muscles and ease headaches. Interested in our facial services? We know radiant, healthy skin reflects how you look and feel. Hand & Stone’s facials are performed by certified estheticians and we are proud to offer Dermalogica®, YonKa and Diego Dalla Palma products so you can enjoy a bright, beautiful complexion between regular appointments.
We’ll help you look and feel your best, affordably! Call today to schedule your appointment! We’re open 7 days a week with extended hours and gift cards are available for all occasions. Contact us today!