Do you hold stress in your face? Most of us do. Whether it’s a furrowed brow, worry lines, pursed lips or a clenched jaw, all of these unconscious responses can affect the health and appearance of your skin. Just as full-body massage helps de-stress the body and work out accumulated stress and toxic build-up, facial massage can do the same.
By relaxing muscles and connective tissue, massaging the face softens expression-induced lines around your eyes, lips and brows, helps expel acne-causing toxins, and de-puffs and brightens the eye area. It also increases circulation, oxygenating the blood and encouraging the presence of fresh, healing red blood cells. This nourishes the cells and increases radiance to the skin, helps increase collagen production, and helps detoxify the skin.
Facial massage also helps your body release oxytocin, a feel-good brain chemical that has both psychological and physiological healing effects.
Here are some tips to get the best results from your facial massage:
- Always massage in an upwards motion on the face, to counter the effects of gravity pulling everything down. Keep all movements in this upward direction, stopping and starting rather than going back and forth. Use this same technique when applying or removing skin care products.
- Start with the décolletage (upper torso), and move up from there.
- Incorporate different types of movement into your facial massage routine:
- Circular motions for general relaxation and improved circulation
- Lifting motions to help with any sagging (e.g., around the jowls – the flesh around the lower jaws)
- Tapping motions to increase blood flow
- Take extra care around the eyes. The skin in this area is very fine, making it more prone to damage.
- Always use a skin care product or facial oil when you’re massaging the skin, so you’re not pulling or stretching the skin.
- Aim for 10 minutes of facial massage every day.
Professional Facial Massage options
A Certified Esthetician can apply deeper and more advanced massage techniques, building on the good routine you’ve got going at home. For example, a lymphatic drainage massage will stimulate and drain from the lymph nodes, helping to release toxins, and increase circulation and blood flow.
The V-Lifting Facial, one of Hand & Stone’s signature treatment, is an advanced skin care treatment designed for mature skin. The V-Lifting Facial focuses on lifting and rebuilding the skin’s structure and visible contours, and incorporates a very vigorous massage technique. This treatment provides instant results. You’ll see less sagging of the skin, less pronounced dark circles, and more revitalized skin.
Between visits to the spa, in just 10 minutes a day, you can massage the worry and stress right out of your face, leaving behind healthier, brighter, and more radiant skin.
Feel great, look great with Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa.
Massage. Facials. Waxing. At Hand & Stone our registered massage therapists will relieve tension, soothe tired muscles and ease headaches. Interested in our facial services? We know radiant, healthy skin reflects how you look and feel. Hand & Stone’s facials are performed by certified estheticians and we are proud to offer Dermalogica®, YonKa and Diego Dalla Palma products so you can enjoy a bright, beautiful complexion in between regular appointments.
We’ll help you look and feel your best, affordably! Call today to schedule your appointment! We’re open 7 days a week with extended hours and gift cards are available for all occasions.