Choosing healthy skin care products is personal because, as with food and exercise, healthy means different things to different people.
No matter your definition, you’ll pick the right skin care products once you decide which health factors mean the most to you.
One part of a healthy lifestyle is about what you choose not to have in your life. It’s the same for skin care.
3 things healthy skin care products to keep out of your life:
- Irritation – Ingredients like lanolin, specially denatured (SD) alcohol, mineral oil, artificial colours, and perfumes can irritate your skin and cause breakouts so if you have sensitive skin, skip products with these irritants.
- Allergens – Stop using products that leave you with acne, itchiness or rashes as this can indicate an allergic reaction or sensitivity. You can try products labelled as hypoallergenic but be wary: this label isn’t regulated or defined so it may just be a marketing tool.
- Clogged pores – You don’t have to know all the ingredients that clog pores. Instead, follow the recommendation of the American Academy of Dermatology and look for these terms on product labels: non-comedogenic, won’t clog pores, non-acnegenic, and oil-free.
Once you remove irritants, allergens and pore-clogging ingredients from your beauty cabinet, you may be interested in an even more natural approach to skin care. But this can be overwhelming because there are so many products on the market.
You can get out of analysis paralysis and skip hours of research by applying decision-making shortcuts to the process of choosing your natural skin care products.
Here are four criteria to help you choose the natural skin care products that are right for you:
- Avoid chemicals you’re concerned about – Know which chemicals you want to avoid and learn to recognize them on ingredient lists. Start with this list of possibly harmful chemicals in skin care products that includes formaldehyde, parabens and phthalates.
- Choose organic – Organic products are grown without chemicals, pesticides, or artificial fertilizers. Look for the USDA organic seal on skin care products which indicates that 95% – 100% of the ingredients are organic.
- Go European – According to the Environmental Working Group, over 1,000 chemicals are banned by the European Union for use in cosmetics. This doesn’t mean European products are chemical free, but it points you in the right direction.
- Check with the experts – You don’t have to know it all! Talk to your trusted skin care professional or consult the Environmental Working Group’s cosmetic database to find products that fit your own healthy skin requirements.
No matter which healthy skin care products you choose, you can boost their effectiveness with an anti-aging lifestyle.
If you’re not sure which skin care products to try next, we’re here to help.
To find out why we only use Dermalogica®, YonKa and Diego Dalla Palma products—or to experience them firsthand with a revitalizing facial treatment—give us a call.
Feel great, look great with Hand & Stone Massage & Facial Spa.
Massage. Facials. Waxing. At Hand & Stone, our registered massage therapists will relieve tension, soothe tired muscles and ease headaches. Interested in our facial services? We know radiant, healthy skin reflects how you look and feel. Hand & Stone’s facials are performed by certified estheticians and we are proud to offer Dermalogica®, YonKa and Diego Dalla Palma products so you can enjoy a bright, beautiful complexion between regular appointments.
We’ll help you look and feel your best, affordably! Call today to schedule your appointment! We’re open 7 days a week with extended hours and gift cards are available for all occasions. Contact us today!