If you’ve ever thought, “I just need one minute to myself!”, you may be short on self-care. Self-care is taking care of your own physical, emotional, and mental needs with positive behaviours.
In real life, it means the difference between being your best self and snapping at loved ones for their minor misdeeds. If you’re tired, overwhelmed, or stressed out, you owe it to yourself (and your loved ones) to implement self-care practices regularly.
Make self-care deposits into your energy bank account
If you’re a kind person who likes helping others, you may suspect self-care is selfish. Actually, it’s the opposite. To get into this frame of mind, imagine yourself as an energy bank account. Every time you’re stressed, nit-picking, feeling guilty about eating take-out, or not sleeping enough, funds are withdrawn from your energy account. With each withdrawal, you become a little less capable of living your best life and caring for your loved ones. And just like with your chequing account, you need to maintain a certain balance to feel comfortable.
Take a minute now to check in with yourself and see the status of your energy bank account. If your energy funds are running low, it’s okay because there’s good news: You can make your own deposits, and with each act of self-care, you boost your energy balance.
The benefits of regular self-care include:
- Less stress
- More resilience
- Increased satisfaction
If you’re wondering how to find the time for self-care, you’re not alone. Fortunately, there’s a simple—but not always easy—trick to freeing up time for yourself.
Make time for self-care by saying, “No” more often
Over-busy and overwhelmed people say yes to requests, activities, and favours they don’t want to do because they feel guilty, and don’t know how to say no. Saying yes when you want to say no leads to resentment and chronic stress—which is bad for your health (and causes premature aging).
While you can’t shirk your real responsibilities, you can say no to inessential activities that drag you down. Be the epitome of graciousness by using this sentence from Miss Manners herself, “You’re so nice to ask me, but I’m afraid I can’t.”
Now that you’ve freed up some time, make a date with yourself to do one or more self-care activities. While Harvard Health suggests self-care starts with eating and sleeping well, being physically active, and cultivating a calm mind, you may be more inclined to make a date with yourself if it’s fun.
Five ideas for a fun self-care date:
- Close the door to distractions – Take some time to be alone if that’s what your heart desires. Use your alone time to do what’s fun for you, whether it’s reading a book, having a nap, or getting a massage.
- Start talking – If being alone is the last thing you need, call a friend for a heart-to-heart, and enjoy catching up and feeling connected.
- Get outside – Being in the great outdoors revives the spirit so pick your favourite outdoor activity and enjoy a couple of hours under the sky.
- Make progress – Work towards one of your goals, whether it’s learning a new skill or finishing a passion project. Pursuing a meaningful goal makes huge deposits in your energy bank account!
- Get sporty – Exercise makes you feel happier, boosts energy, and helps you relax so use your self-care time to find something you enjoy. Once your family sees the stress-dissolving benefits of your new exercise program, they’ll probably encourage your self-care dates.
Taking time for self-care isn’t always easy but it is essential for living your best life and having the energy to take care of what’s most important to you.
We’re here to help. If your idea of self-care is a peaceful trip to the spa, give us a call to book a relaxing massage or a rejuvenating facial.
Feel great, look great with Hand & Stone Massage & Facial Spa.
Massage. Facials. Waxing. At Hand & Stone, our registered massage therapists will relieve tension, soothe tired muscles and ease headaches. Interested in our facial services? We know radiant, healthy skin reflects how you look and feel. Hand & Stone’s facials are performed by certified estheticians and we are proud to offer Dermalogica®, YonKa and Diego Dalla Palma products so you can enjoy a bright, beautiful complexion between regular appointments.
We’ll help you look and feel your best, affordably! Call today to schedule your appointment! We’re open 7 days a week with extended hours and gift cards are available for all occasions. Contact us today!