Have you started to see fine lines and sun damage when you look in the mirror? If yes, you may want to know more about active peels, a safe and effective anti-aging spa treatment that transforms dull skin into a radiant complexion.
What is an active peel?
An active peel is an exfoliation treatment that works because of a mild chemical reaction between your skin and the active ingredient (typically alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), glycolic acid, lactic or fruit acids, or salicylic acid). The treatment breaks down dead cells on the surface of your face, neck and décolletage, and reveals a fresh layer of glowing skin.
These results are similar to what happens after microdermabrasion, a treatment that exfoliates because of physical abrading, rather than a chemical reaction.
3 reasons to consider active peel treatment:
- You’re approaching or have arrived at middle age – As we age, our skin produces less collagen and elastin (two proteins that promote smooth skin), which is one reason your skin isn’t as easy to take care of as it was in your twenties.
- You have mild acne scars or discoloration – Active peels can reduce the appearance of mild scars, an uneven complexion, and fine lines, especially after multiple treatments.
- You want smooth, radiant skin – Active peels work! But to maintain these results, you’ll need to have regular treatments every few weeks or months.
What to do before and after your active peel treatment
Unlike medium and deep peels that are typically done in a doctor’s office and require 7-21 days to heal, active peels—also known as the lunchtime peel—require little preparation or recovery time.
Prepare for your active peel treatment by:
- Scheduling your appointment, 3 days in advance – This gives you the time you need to prepare your skin for treatment.
- Avoiding skin irritation – Go easy on your skin for three days before your appointment by avoiding aggressive exfoliation, waxing, electrolysis, and sunburns.
- Knowing when to postpone – Even though you want to maintain anti-aging results with regular treatments, postpone your appointment if you have a breakout, rash or irritated skin. An active peel is mild but it stings a little – so it’s best performed on healthy skin.
After treatment, recovery is generally swift. You can expect some redness to last a few minutes. If you have sensitive skin, you may have redness or swelling for a few days. Whatever your experience, taking care of your skin after treatment is easy – just apply moisturizer and sunscreen, and avoid products with retinols for a few days.
Seeing fine lines and a dull complexion in the mirror isn’t mandatory because we’re here to help.
If you’re curious about adding active peels to your anti-aging skin care routine, give us a call.
Feel great, look great with Hand & Stone Massage & Facial Spa.
Massage. Facials. Waxing. At Hand & Stone, our registered massage therapists will relieve tension, soothe tired muscles and ease headaches. Interested in our facial services? We know radiant, healthy skin reflects how you look and feel. Hand & Stone’s facials are performed by certified estheticians and we are proud to offer Dermalogica®, YonKa and Diego Dalla Palma products so you can enjoy a bright, beautiful complexion between regular appointments.
We’ll help you look and feel your best, affordably! Call today to schedule your appointment! We’re open 7 days a week with extended hours and gift cards are available for all occasions. Contact us today!