Being a teenager can be tough, especially with acne. Most teens get acne and the American Academy of Dermatology recommends parents help their teens find acne treatment so their skin and the stress associated with it clear up as soon as possible.
We wrote this article for teens but if you’re a mom reading this and your teen doesn’t want to talk about acne, leave this article on the kitchen counter beside the bananas and see what happens.
Though teen acne is common and unavoidable, treatment helps and early treatment reduces the likelihood of scarring.
Teen acne treatment for girls and boys
There’s no magic bullet for erasing teen acne. Instead, take the long view and create good habits to support healthy skin. Consistency is the key to success in acne treatment (and life).
5 ways to treat teen acne naturally:
- Wash your face twice daily – Be gentle (no scrubbing!) to avoid further skin irritation and use mild soap and water. If you’re sporty and work up a sweat, wash your face after that too. And then…
- Moisturize with oil-free products – Sometimes we meet with teens who don’t want to moisturize because they think it makes acne worse. It’s the opposite: no moisturizing means skin produces more oil which makes more acne! Choose an oil-free moisturizer and use it every day. Look for moisturizers with hyaluronic acid or ones that say non-comedogenic or non-acnegenic on the label.
- Try products with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid – These lotions or gels remove excess oil and fight bacteria growth but tend to dry out skin so always use your moisturizer after treatment. You won’t see results right away but you can expect to know if it’s working within 4 to 6 weeks.
- Change your pillowcase twice a week – Your pillowcase absorbs sweat and grease and you don’t want your skin to absorb it back! Besides, doesn’t it feel amazing to relax into a fresh pillow after a long day studying?
- Eat well (mostly) and stay hydrated – You can’t prevent teen acne, but you can discourage it from getting out of hand by eating well. This means quality protein like meat, eggs and fish, fresh vegetables, healthy fats, nutritious carbs, and plain old water. If 80% of what you eat are nutritious whole foods, your body gets what it needs to feel great. Eating pizza and ice cream with your pals after track and field is no problem because that’s a treat, not your regular way of eating.
But with every ‘to-do’ list, there’s a ‘don’t-do’ list to match!
The don’t do list for teens with acne:
- Don’t keep touching your face or let your hair rest on your face – This avoids transferring bacteria and grease to your trouble zones.
- Don’t pop zits or squeeze blackheads – We know it’s tempting but resist because this can lead to further irritation and scarring.
- Don’t use too much make-up – Putting more products on your face can clog your pores and lead to more break-outs!
- Don’t stress too much – Though acne is normal, it’s also hard to handle and potentially rough on your self-esteem. But you’ll get through it by using the tips above and focusing on what’s going right in your life, instead of on what’s going wrong. And this shift in focus will help you stress less which is good for your complexion!
Unless you’re one of the rare few, you can’t skip the teen acne experience. But you can manage it and get help when you’re stuck.
We’re here to help. If you’d like to get some relief and experience a relaxing facial treatment designed just for teens, give us a call. Or better yet, ask your mom if she thinks getting facials together would be a good bonding activity and let her give us a call.
Feel great, look great with Hand & Stone Massage & Facial Spa.
Massage. Facials. Waxing. At Hand & Stone, our registered massage therapists will relieve tension, soothe tired muscles and ease headaches. Interested in our facial services? We know radiant, healthy skin reflects how you look and feel. Hand & Stone’s facials are performed by certified estheticians and we are proud to offer Dermalogica®, YonKa and Diego Dalla Palma products so you can enjoy a bright, beautiful complexion between regular appointments.
We’ll help you look and feel your best, affordably! Call today to schedule your appointment! We’re open 7 days a week with extended hours and gift cards are available for all occasions. Contact us today!